Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday 13 January 2011

Translating Art


When I wrote about Wu Guanzhong, I quoted him and mentioned how beautiful I find Chinese in translation. There is an inherent poetry and an innocence of language which can be seen in this translated title. 'I could never see a blossom/ After I grew up' could fluidly open a poem or a folk-tale, but it is beautiful not for its complexity. Unfortunately translation is not always quite so elegant or successful, and this is a post dedicated to those failed moments, where pretentions become absurd and quite funny too. Posters for new art shows, directions for interaction, I hope you enjoy them.






And here are some words of wisdom for aspiring artists, click on the photograph to make it bigger. Of course, the Western baby is speaking with a hint of irony.


2 comments:

  1. The gap between the languages makes poetry... Have you ever read Xiaolu Guo's "A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers"? It's a kind of naive novel, but I found it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't, but I think I have heard about it. That is a beautiful way of putting it though, 'The gap between languages makes poetry', it strikes a chord with parts of my dissertation.

    ReplyDelete