Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday 23 December 2010

My Art History


I am in London today, so here is a bit of a rushed post, apologies for picture quality, it's my blackberry it doesn't do anything justice!


The beginnings of an art book sculpture

While I am back Home, Home and have my whole life in boxes before me I have decided to organise some of the many things I have collected over the years. I am beginning to trip over postcards of artworks, gallery maps, exhibition leaflets and posters and so I am going to try and make a scrapbook of them all. So they don't go to waste but also to preserve them amongst my thoughts. Here are a few pictures of the chaos.


I can already see some interesting things collaged here; Miquel Barcelo's watercolours, Goya's bullfighting etchings, and a bit of Sonia Delaney!

I am going to make a scrapbook, but I need to buy photo-corners first so that I don't destroy anything with glue. I hope that some more interesting posts will come out of this excursion in re-discovery. My mother informs me we do in fact have a scanner, so expect more beautiful, good quality images, soon.

Meanwhile in London. Today I am going on my Eric Gill Pilgrimage; to see the Prospero and Ariel sculpture on the exterior of BBC's Broadcasting House and The Fourteen Stations of the cross at Westminster Cathedral.


AND if I don't get lost I might wander to the V&A to see the exhibition of Camera-less photography which is reviewed beautifully here;
http://aestheticamagazine.blogspot.com/2010/12/camera-less-photography-at-ingleby.html
and an even bigger if, I happen to be at the V&A at the right time I will go see this;
http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/contemporary/mat-collishaw/index.html
having discovered Matt Collishaw at the Fitz the other day.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking to my aesthetica review. Hope you enjoy the camer-less photography if you get to it. I'd be really interested to hear your take on it. (I haven't seen all that work because my review was of a smaller (and different) exhibition of camera-less photography, running alongside the v&a one, in Edinburgh.) Your Eric Gill pilgrimage sounds fun. Very pleased to have come across your splendid blog, which I'll be following from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! So glad you found me so that I could find you! I think these photographs are fabulous: Europe, art, books....love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you well with your scrapbook ideas. They are such fun to construct and time consuming if you are like me and get easily distracted! I too keep all my exhibition leaflets/maps and postcards. Why is it Galleries never publish in postcard format the paintings you like the best? I keep them very tidy in a big, big shoebox and look through it often. Many of the postcards are in my Creative Ideas Box which is a different box. I like the photos you have above of your collections which are a form of scrapbook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Galleries don't ever publish the work you liked best and it is always disappointing! I think they should be able to print postcards on demand, but I guess they have problems with copyrighting etc. I think I probably will get very distracted by this scrapbook project, but it will be nice to go back and remember everything.

    ReplyDelete